A friend of mine brought his W123 300D ( Non turbo ) to  me to try and sort
out his intermittent idle problem. - Usually the engine purrs nicely but
then every now and then the idle speed drops and engine runs roughly. When
this occurs I isolated the problem to #1 cyl - ( by disconnecting each fuel
line in turn #1 did not have a affect ) . When engine runs #1 is fine as are
all other cylinders. I initially checked spray pattern on the tester - Ok .
I replaced the injector with a known good one and the problem was still
there. I then replaced dellivery valve an dth eproblem is still present. I
am now a bit stumped - coul dit be a stuck injection pump element? what
about an engine valve not closing?  Any ideas are welcome!

Peter