On Oct 8, 2008, at 4:03 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have a ton of old circular saw blades that
I've been meaning to get sharpened but never got around to it. I remember
many years ago seeing ads in the woodworking mags for the Foley Belsaw
sharpener, but I seem to remember it costing a whole lot more than $59.99. It might be nice to be able to touch up a blade even if I didn't use it for
full sharpening.

Royce:

I just interviewed a guy for a story who built and runs the ONLY sawmill in operation capable of riff-sawing 8' clapboards. The saw is making a plough cut through huge white pine logs at great speed. Most such mills are only 6' long because the blade overheats and warps by the time that long a cut is made. This guy figured out how to go two more feet, mostly by using extremely well-built century-plus old equipment and tuning it up to NASA tolerances. He uses 150-year-old ripping blades--the best, he says--and sharpens them by hand, with a file, and sets the teeth himself. He's been using the same blades for 20 years and says they'll never need gumming, much less replacement. If the saw doesn't run quite true, he taps the blade with a hammer "to realign the molocules." Sounds like voodoo, but the thing RIPS through huge logs, makes less noise than s skillsaw, and throws off long strings of excelsior, not "sawdust." Amazing.

Dan