It's probably different now than it was in the '80s.  Suppose I'll find out.
Gerry

IMHO, Sleeping in a rest area would be very dangerous. They are infested with drug dealers (Making transfers) and hookers. In my Motorhome, when I need to sleep "On the road", I go to the small town police station and ask to park in the far corner on the lot or a church lot, never been refused.

Pete
From: "Archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
That was me. Lot's of family problems came up, but while I was upgrading the '83 300D for the trip (putting in a new chain), the leg broke. Still hope to make a short trip in a couple of weeks after the physical therapist releases me. I could have finished the chain job now since I'm getting around fairly well with a cane and walker, but my daughter was so upset about finding me on the floor, I told her I would send the car to a mechanic. For some reason she
connected working on the Mercedes with the accident.  The car is at the
mechanics (out in the woods). He is s-l-o-w but is supposed to do good work. I'll get back to working on the Merz after the doc says I can get down on the
floor.  Daughter will be okay with it by then.

The specially cut mattress and cover (done expertly by a mattress shop in
Tennessee) and the supporting structure is in and ready to go, and there isn't
much else that needs to be done except routine service.

I've had previous cars with mattresses taking the place of the passengers seat
and the back seat.

As Larry wrote:
"With the curtains closed and the pop-top down, you could camp in that thing
ANYWHERE, and no one knew there was anyone inside."

I used a little different approach. By preference I would park in a rest area in the furthest space away from the rest rooms. I didn't use curtains because I found that made police suspicious when they came by and they would wake you up, look at your ID, etc. While sleeping I was below window level, so people would
look through the window and think it was simply a parked car.

Parking lots of closed bars were good places to sleep if rest areas were
unavailable. Police never bothered me there. They must have thought somebody
got too drunk to drive, got a ride home, and left his car.

Was sleeping in a bar parking lot one night when I heard a noise. A guy was raising the hood up; probably aiming to steal the battery. About the time he got his head under the hood, I reached over with my toe and blew the horn. Heard this loud kerblam when the guy banged his head into the hood, and then he
took off running the fastest I've ever seen anybody go.

I wore very light clothes while on the road and slept with them so no one could accuse me of public nudity if they did look in the car and the blankets were askew. Every few days I would check into a motel, do laundry if necessary, and
get a nights worth of very good sleep.

It's a great feeling of freedom from responsibility and the cares of the world to wake up in your car at dawn and watch the sun coming up; no matter if you're
on the plains, the desert, or along the seacoast.

One more story:
Drove into the Frisco Bay area one evening, went north on the coast road (north
of the bay), and parked in a parking area high above the ocean.  Woke up
suddenly with the sensation that the car was shaking. Figured it was a dream and went back to sleep. Heard on the radio the next day that there had been an
earthquake!  This was during the late 1980s.

Gerry