To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1990 350SDL

Either the rods bend in service or they don't. No way to tell by looking, all you get is suddenly seriously increasing oil consumption and soon loose piston noise as the cylinder wears oval from the twisted rod.

The 3.0L 603 will also bend rods, but I believe that is usually a bad head gasket allowing oil into #1 from the chain tensioner oil passage across the front. Eventually it will hydrolock and bend the #1 rod. There is some speculation that glassy carbon from the crossover pipe can do the same thing.

Peter