To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1990 350SDL

Peter is correct. Oil analysis depends on something to be dissolved or
suspended in the oil to be measured. And think of a bending rod just like
crinkling up a piece of aluminum foil. In both cases, you loose no metal.

You may be able to see a rise in diesel fuel or soot in the oil as blow by
increases or increased iron in the oil from the cylinder wall wear but by
the time you measure these, the damage is done - the cylinder has already
started to wear egg shape & the rings are no longer sealing properly.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924