Here's an interesting project, not quite what you want to do, but some instructive info.

http://prodmod.com/2008/10/26/bright-160-lumen-prodmod-video-light-for-under-30/

You can order LEDs from various places, mouser, sparkfun, there are some other hobbyist electronics suppliers.

--R

Allan Streib wrote:
I am wanting to replace some burned out dash lamps in my VW Vanagon.
The lamps in question are for the panels around heat/vent controls.  The
bulbs I removed are housed in plastic barrels that are 8mm in diameter;
the barrels push-fit into a recepticles on the back of the illuminated
panels.

My thought is to replace them with LEDs, it seems that 8mm is a standard
LED size but I'm not sure where to source these.

I found this on eBay:

  http://tinyurl.com/6e2u5k

Anyone think those would be appropriate?  Or know of any other good
sources?  I want something approximately as bright as the original lamps
and that will dim appropriately if I dim the dash lights.

Allan