Date: Thursday, November 06, 2008 12:12:13 am
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
From: Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Carfax/ 454 milage

A 454 is like holding a 5 gallon can over the engine, and drill a
5/16 hole in the bottom.  in short, they s uck. and they are gutless.

My favorite story is in 1979, we had just put a 392 (IH) 4 barrel in
the old IH 1500. It had well over 300,000 miles on it at the
time.  We were overloaded, way overloaded, going uphill, closing fast
on a chevy pickup pulling an empty stock trailer.  He got in the
creeper lane, and as we passed, i could see the 454 on the side of
the truck, and it sounded like it was grunting to uphill empty.  I
nailed the 392, opened up the back two barrels and the truck stood up
on the ringgear and we accelerated uphill and left the gas sucking
454 in the dust.

Those who have ridden an Earles fork BMW will understand "standing up
on the ring gear."  I loved that effect!

And we probably went twice as far on a gallon of gas!  The load was
at least 5 tons.