the "stars & bars" are by definition horizontal.  here is an example

http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/stars_and_bars_800x600.gif

the more popular flag you refer to is a battle flag.  it looks like this

http://unitedstatesamericanflags.com/images/battle_flag_800x600.gif

that flag was never the national flag.  the top flag, 7 stars and 3
stripes,  was the original official flag of the confederacy.  there are many
version of that national flag as well, but none exactly the one that is
popularly associated with the confederacy.