So, do the new vinyl releases have
the sound of a digital recording, or is the problem with digital really
the compressed product that is delivered to the consumer?

CD's aren't compressed.  Except for any old-school
compander-type crap they may have felt compelled to use.
But their sample size and sampling rate are borderline
for their intended goal, so if the recording is not very
carefully done they can suffer unnecessarily.  If recorded
on better gear the required re-sampling offers a lot of
room for subtle error.

My one Sheffield DTD recording really sounds good, and my
playback gear was never all that great.  _Those_ are the
gold standard for analog playback, so far as I know.
I have a few other DTD's, too.

I think a well-done CD can sound extremely good.

-- Jim