-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 8:25 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] rear end questions

Phillip wrote: "So if the higher ratio (3.55) means that the engine is in it's
sweet spot at your highway speed,
you quite possibly will get faster acceleration and better economy at the same
time. Or not."

Well that sums it up.  Actually, it doesn't matter. If I buy the car, it won't
make much difference.  It does have
the 3.55, and I have found out that Ford put those in for faster initial
acceleration. The top end speed ends up
being irrelevant, because Ford puts a limiter on them at 129 mph.  Ford
determined that the mixed matrix driveshaft
(I have no idea what that means) is tougher than the standard aluminum, but
still decided that 130 was the limit
that the driveshaft could take. I don't know whether the car is capable
(without the top speed artificially
controlled), but since they overengineer these cars, I will take their word for
it.

Donald H. Snook