Luther,
I'd suggest looking at www.camcorderinfo.com - they have reviews, product comparisons, and a very active discussion forum including a sections for each major brand (Panasonic is at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/f25). I found it helpful when I was buying a new camcorder last summer.

FWIW, I ended up with a Canon Optura 40. Although things have likely changed in 12 months, the Optura offered "true" 16:9 recording (not HD, just widescreen) which is all I use. There is also lots of discussion about the value of 3 CCD cameras vs. single-chip units. Personally, I wouldn't let that issue be the major deciding factor as many single-chip units have stronger reviews than some of the three-chips. There are a lot of other equally important factors.

I do like my Optura a lot, and it's been very reliable. The only things that don't impress me are performance in very low light (which I think is a problem with many camcorders), and the use of electronic vs. optical stabilization. My old analog Sony Hi8 had better stabilization, and it used an optical system. Apparently, Canon agreed and there are new Optura units that now offer optical stabilization.

Good luck --

   Rob Vonderhaar

----- Original Message ----- From: "Luther Gulseth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT camcorder auctions

I am looking at several new ones, I'm more looking for comments on the
quality of Panisonic camreas.