The 5.7 and the 6.2 diesels used the Roosa Master, now labeled Stanadyne,
injection pumps.  They had a plastic disc in the drive that would break.  It
was replaced with a SS disc and the pumps  were then durable.
GM changed from nitrided camshafts to heat/quench camshafts around 1975.  I had
a 75 GMC PU and the camshaft was bad at about 60k miles.  A friend had a 84
Cadillac, 4.1, and the cam was bad at about 44k mi.  A friend who was a
Cadillac tech rep stated that they had a problem with bad camshafts.  The 6.2
diesel was a Detroit diesel engine; they did not have camshaft problems.
 I friend got a 79 Cadillac with the 5.7 diesel.  The engine was replaced at
79k mi. and he drove the next engine to 279kmi.  After 1981, the 5.7 engine got
roller tappets.
I had a 81 Eldorado diesel; bought it with about 40k mi and sold it with about
95k mi.  It got about 34 mpg on the road and 24mpg in town.  Replaced it with
an 83 diesel suburban that got 28 mpg on trips, at 60 mph.  I believe the
injection pump had over 200k mi.  I replaced that pump on several trucks; a
rebuilt pump was about $250.
The 6.5 diesel uses an electronic controlled Stanadyne pump and the electronics
are a major problem.  I have two 6.5 diesels and I have spent about $4k on pump
problems.
The Stanadyne  pump is used on John Deere diesel tractors, and I believe it was
used on early Ford/IHC diesels.  It is a cheap pump that expensive to maintain.