Allen,

All you need is to replace the electronic pump with one of the later models of the mechanical pumps that were used on the very first 6.5 engines. I have a 91 Van in which I put a 95 6.5 engine with an early mechanical pump. It has run over 120,000 mile on that pump and is still going strong. If you want I will look up the paperwork and let you know the pump number.

Manfred

Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:13:45 -0600
From: "Allen Sawyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] 5.7 diesels

The 6.5 diesel uses an electronic controlled Stanadyne pump and the
 electronics are a major problem.  I have two 6.5 diesels and I have spent
 about $4k on pump problems.
The Stanadyne  pump is used on John Deere diesel tractors, and I
 believe it was used on early Ford/IHC diesels.  It is a cheap pump that
 expensive to maintain.