Colleagues

Brake fade may be familiar to most you as a concept but this weekend, I encountered it for real. And not for the first time. My 5-spd manual 1985 300TD suffers brake fade quite conspicuously on long winding descents, even at relatively slow speeds. The speed is slow because I descend in 3rd gear, usually adopting the truckies' practice of braking the wagon on the engine with short, periodic use of the brakes to bring speed down further. I do not ride the brakes all the way down hills.

This weekend I had four souls on board. Not a big load by any means.

So, what's causing this? The rotors are MB standard issue (not machined down at all). The pads are (to my knowledge) MB-approved (that is, not some after-market crap by Kamakusa) but soft rather than hard compound. I experimented with harder pads once but removed them as unsatisfactory (noisy and less efficient, if I recall correctly).

Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks

Euan
1985 300TD 5-spd manual