Euan,

Brake fade is caused by a small layer of gas that forms between the rotor
and the pads. The gas layer is very thin but it acts like a cushion that
prevents the pads from gripping the rotors.

The cause is heat and this is why you experience brake fade going down a
long hill. You apply the brakes and with each cycle, the rotor & pad
surfaces get hotter & hotter until you finally cross a threshold, some of
the compounds inside the brake material turn into gas & create the cushion
and you have no brakes.

Race car drivers cross drill & mill slots their rotors to help bleed off the
gas. They also run special metal brake pads that don't off gas like
composite brake pads do. This is why you can actually see rotors glow dull
red in some night time races & they still have brakes.

The one advantage of modern ceramic pads is that they also off-gas less.
This is the real reason they reduce brake fade.

Your solution is to install a set of ceramic brake pads but also to change
your driving habits. You need to slow down and shift into second gear and
let the engine do most of the braking so that you have brakes when you need
them.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com