$tarbuck$ gives away their used coffee grounds in big bags, my wife would drag those home now and again to throw in the composter and to spread right on the plants dirt, I think it had some sort of repellent qualities (for bugs). You could probably fill up your car with that stuff with a couple of stops.

--R

andrew strasfogel wrote:
Very good input - thanks!

I don't see the solution as massive centralized composting facilities but in
developing a cadre of back yard gardneners on how to recycle their organic
yard and kitchen waste.  Or maybe get the schools involved?

My local D.C. Whole Foods has its own liquid composter just outside the
store to handle cabbage leaves and other trimmings from the produce
department.  WF sells the fiished compost for a good price.