Dave M. wrote:
Chris,

I think Marshall's comments are long gone. Richard didn't read my
warning and replaced the old page with just my notes, not Marshalls.
And he had no backup to pull from. So unless they're saved on
someone's personal drive, or Marshall can add to it from memory,
they're gone. That was about a year ago back when the MBZ.org site was
still alive...

In addition to the head problem(s):

Marshall Booth (on the subject of 300TD purchase): The OM60x engines used in the W201/124/'86+ 126s are much quieter then the older OM61x engine. Part of that IS the engine and part is the sound encapsulation used in and under the engine compartment (be SURE the one you buy HAS these panels - some misguided mechanics throw them away and they are expensive to replace)! The hydraulic valve lifters CAN make quite a racket if the car has had a steady diet of conventional oil. Changing to synthetic oil WILL considerably reduce and eventually may even eliminate all but an occasional clack/clatter from these "noisemakers" ;-) The '87 300TD is probably my favorite MB ever!

There are LOTS of little things to look at when buying a 13 year old car. Ones that I would look for are: AC system - it must produce good cooling (compressor replacement will usually be well over $1000), the sunroof must work properly in all modes (sunroof repair can be $1000), The tail gate must open, stay up and close flawlessly and the "pull in" motor must engage and pull the gate shut without effort once contact is made, check that the serpentine belt idler pulley (right below the horizontal expanse of fan belt at the front to of the engine) MUST be aligned parallel with the belt - if it's a degree or two cocked, then it MUST be repaired (the costs could be from $100-$1000 depending on what is actually worn or broken), the engine MUST start promptly when dead cold and idle should smooth out within 20-30 seconds! There must be NO evidence of transmission fluid on the grate at the bottom of the bell housing (where the torque converter lives ;-) as that would be evidence of leaking seals (minimum of $500 to fix) and the transmission should shift very smoothly after the 1st few cold shifts. The power seats should all move effortlessly and all the windows should work at about the same speed. The cruise control should be tested! The radio, antenna and cassette player SHOULD work (though a refurbished radio is available on an exchange basis from Becker for about $130). Wipers (front and rear) should work smoothly. Finally, the car should ride and handle about as well as your 300SD - but just a bit more agile and it should feel more powerful ('cause it is).

Let me add that the 124 is notorious for having the wires from the "B" pillar to the rear doors break - seems that the wire was made from stranded wire with too few strands of wire that was too thick to be sufficiently flexible. The 201s and 126s made during the same period did NOT suffer from this failure.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm