Seventeen years ago today, I flew into Honolulu from the Big Island, had a big hassle getting the rental car I had reserved, and ended up getting a mustang convertible. There was not enough room in the "trunk" for either my toolbox, or the box containing the head off my 400k mile OM621. Both barely fit in the back seat. The hassle was because this day happened to be the 50th year since the attack on Pearl Harbor, and many of the able survivors were coming back, many for the first time. I wanted to be there for the commemoration, but MBs called.

So, with son Adam, we drove out to Hawaii Kai and bought the 66 200D with the broken timing chain and the head in the trunk. I fished out what was left of the chain, and connected it to a new timing chain, and prayed no pieces had gone between the chain and the crank sprocket. I slowly turned the crank around while Adam fed in the new chain and pulled up the slack on the old chain. We were lucky. Nothing caught between the chain and the sprocket.

I bolted on the head, and hooked up the manifolds, linkages etc. I used the nozzles in the "new" head and hooked up the injection lines.
All this was in the street in front of the PO's house.

When we got it all together, we cranked it and got the engine running. Not great, but enough to get it home, up to Kailua, via Waimanalo. I was worried that when the engine had gotten water in a cyl, and snapped the timing chain, that the rings were broken in at least one cyl. (that later proved to be true.)

When we got it started, the PO came running out of the house, yelling at me that we had ripped him off. That was quite a chuckle, because nobody else in the state new those cars as well as I did, and he had been trying to sell it for months. The fact that I had a spare head, and knew enough to order the TC and knew how to put it together did not mean that he got ripped. It did mean that I knew more about 110 Diesels than he did.

Anyhow, after we got the car to Kailua, I checked the timing and tweaked a few things. Then a couple of weeks later, we shipped the car on a barge to Hilo, where it became our pride for the next couple of years before we moved to the mainland.

My favorite picture of any ever taken of any of my MBs is the picture I took of that car in front of the Hawaii Volcanos National Park sign. I need to find that photo and scan it.

when the big move came, we shipped two cars via barge to Honolulu, and from there by Matson to Seattle. A few days later we flew to Seattle, and took a taxi from the airport to the Matson terminal. We claimed our cars, then claimed our pallet of freight, which included the crate from the OM621 short block in my black 200D (not this one). We distributed the freight between the cars. Then we went to the space needle for lunch. (We got separated on the way, so Anna and I parked underground, then went up to the street corner to watch for the Escort to drive by. I was hoping they WOULD drive by on one of the two streets! We saw them and waved them into the parking. Life was exciting before cell phones!

After touring the 747 plant at Everett, and taking in the air museums, we headed east. This is when the broken rings became apparent. Climbing the mountains was a slow process. Remember the OM 621 had no altitude compensation either! Plenny black smoke Bruddah! Look like Pele!

After we arrived in Iowa, I parked the blue 200D, and it waited for years until I could work on it. When Adam was about to get his driver's license, I told him he could either buy any car he could find for $500, and he would need to keep it running, or he could have the 200D and I'd help him fix it up. He chose wisely, and chose the car he used to ride in for Cub Scout meetings at Volcano. (Yes, we drove 60 miles each way every Sat for Cub den meetings.) Well there was one den in the pack, so they were pack meetings too!

I found a 1981 OM 616 engine in Chicago for a reasonable price, and had it shipped in. Then I figgered out all the reasons why it would never fit in a 110 chassis. Then we devised ways to overcome each obstacle. So this is how we ended up with the 200D 2.4 from Hawaii, with at least 10,000 sea miles on it in addition to a whole bunch of land miles. (At least 5 separate ocean voyages) My best guess is 400k to 500k miles on land. A Mercedes Veteran for sure.

Loren Faeth