Yes but a Government is charged with looking after ALL it's citizens.
Sure if you want to choose doctor, hospital and stuff then take out health insurance (which I have and they pay about half the bill of my twice annual teeth cleaning bill because if I get my teeth checked twice a year they may well fork out less than if I let them rot and then need major dental work) but there has to be a safety net of basic medical care for those who can't afford health insurance. Sure if you don't have insurance you can't tell them you want a room in the best hospital and that you don't want that medical student to practice on you but a civilized nation must look after it's weakest. A the start of the movie Moore showed a bloke putting stitches in his knee because he has no health insurance, are you saying that he would have gotten treated at the local hospital for free?

Hendrik

OK Don wrote:
One of the basic differences is whether health care is a right or a
privilege. Many believe it is a privilege - I know very good doctors,
who even do free work sometimes, who believe it's a privilege, not a
right.
Another issue is our belief in our individual right to choose - a
doctor, a hospital, the timing of operations, etc. Many insurance
programs put limits on your choices, and many "healthcare for all"
government programs do that same. We can choose to not buy insurance,
use the ER when we get a runny nose and not pay, or get good insurance
for a lot of money, but we have lower taxes.
"You pay's your money, and take's your chances".