Half way through AF OCS in June '60, I flew home to SWMBO for few days.  She
met me at RDU on our '56 Chevy.  As I backed out of the airport parking
space, I felt slight grinding in left front wheel.  Next day bought new
bearings for both front wheels.  When I pulled the left wheel, I noticed
that the inner race on the outer end of the left spindle was blue, and the
spindle showed barely discernible "possible" wear in the bearing area;
'didn't think it was enough to be concerned.  Several months later, after
graduation and while driving from NC to NE and S. TX, I'd be cruising
sometimes at 65 to 70 or so, and left front wheel would emit a high-pitched
squeal - the inner race spinning on the spindle.  I'd slow down, and the
squeal would go away.  'Took the wheel off after I got to TX, and could find
no VISIBLE change from when I installed new bearings.  'Continued to drive
it for another 10 months or so 'til I traded it for a new Pontiac.  In
retrospect, I should have changed the spindle, but I was already broke,
pushed for time and probable stupid - 'just didn't think the spindle looked
"bad" enough for new one; lucky it didn't lock up on me way off yonder in
the boondocks somewhere late at night with a wife, two children, no money
and a brand new, shiny brown/gold bar.  We were, indeed, lucky.

"Brown bar" reminds me:  A Sat afternoon, cruising west somewhere in IN, at
about 70;
'stopped by IN highway patrol; officer asked, "Where ya headed?"  I
answered, "Harlingen, TX, by way of Lincoln, NE."  He asked, "What do you
do?"  "In the Air Force," I answered.  "What rank?" he asked.  "Second Lt.;
'commissioned last week." I answered.  'Showed 'im my military ID.  As he
handed it back, he said, "Lieutenant, If you ever expect to make Colonel or
even Captain, you'd better slow down.  I'm gonna let you go, but don't you
forget, our speed limit in Indiana is 55 MPH."  My prompt answer, "Yes sir,
thank you sir."  As he turned toward his car, he hesitated and looked back
saying, "By the way, anybody else out here woulda given you a ticket right
quick when you said you're a second lieutenant."  Starting the engine, I
responded, "Yes, I know.  Thank you, sir."

BTW, before I left Lincoln, NE, to go to OCS, we drove several times from
there to our parents' homes in NC and back (3 kmi), starting the trip with
$45 in my pocket; no credit cards.

Wilton