Sure it wasn't a Buick Twin Turbine? Only had forward and reverse from the planetary set, though, with high and low slip turbines clutched in. Had to be driven off foot to the floor and out of slow slip fast to keep it from burning up tranny juce, they were famous for smoking the fluid. I shudder to think of the fuel milage....

Lotta strange trannys out there up to the 70s. Hydramatics's four speed is the one everyone knows (1939 to 1960 or 1961) since everyone used it more or less until the Hydramatic plant burned down and there weren't any for a while in the mid 50's. Ford, Chevy, and Buick made their own two-speeds, and Ford and Chrysler then went ahead and built a big one for their V8s and quit using Hydramatics after the fire. Big bastards -- took 12 qts of oil on a fluid change, something like 16 on a rebuild, and the last models had two fluid clutches (low and high slip) -- putting the gear shift into "s" switched the input to the high slip clutch. No over-running clutches, all clutch packs, and a cone type clutch for low/reverse that was almost impossible to get adjusted correctly. Easy to tell in a car, as Reverse was to the right of Low -- with a sloppy linkage, too!

1200 lbs for the cast iron case version, I think, probably 750 for the aluminum one.

Peter