Mitch Haley wrote:
Let's say I have a 190D 2.5/auto and a 190E2.3-16, and I want to put
the 5 cylinder diesel in the 190E body with the 190E 5 sp tranny.
Does anything have to be fabricated or purchased, or is the
operation going to be a matter of swapping existing parts from donor
to recipient? Will the tranny be in the same place when bolted to
the 2.5 using 2.5 motor mounts as it was with the 2.3 gasser, or
am I going to have shift linkage/driveshaft issues?

You probably won't be able to fit a 602 engine into the 201.034 chassis (it MIGHT fit into a 190E 2.6 - MAYBE) without MAJOR alterations to the chassis. The 190D 2.5 chassis were stretched up front - different radiators and so forth - from the earlier cars to fit in the longer engine. I'm NOT saying it can't be done, but look VERY carefully and see how things fit into one versus the other. Pay particular attention to the radiator, AC condenser, fans, fan shroud and AC stuff.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi