Manfred

Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 05:00:49 -0800 (PST)
From: "Tim C." <bb...@crone.us>

You could get a range extender and set it on top of the near blast
 wall, but unless you have PoE you also have to power it.

Not to sound too daft, it would be easiest to run a x-ft length of
 cat5e from out of one of the connected trailers to somewhere near her
trailer and plug in to a regular router or AP at her place. If the trailers
 are anything like the ones I've seen it won't be adding to the draft
 to have a cat5 cable running out the window.

For that matter if she's on good terms with the other trailers maybe
 they would set one of their routers on the top of the blast wall, and
 everyone could play.

If not, the archived description (last month probably?) of DD-WRT is my
 suggestion, install it as a client with the SSID of the good router
 and then connect the laptop (or another AP) to the back end.  Send along
 a very long power extension cord and ethernet cable (local home
improvement store should carry 100' of both) so she can set the DD-WRT on top
 of the blast wall, or even slung over the top onto the ground next
 door.  I think unless she clears that wall, either line-of-sight (height)
 or because the device is past it, the reception may not be satisfactory;
 a foot of concrete makes a good signal a lot of noise.

To answer the actual question, the best 11n-draft routers will be
 higher x-by-x numbers, you should be able to find 2x2 or 2x3s.  Power is
 mostly limited by the FCC, the highest 11a channels can be higher power so
 a dual-band might help, though I can't say I've ever tested range vs.
 channel live so I'm not sure the greater power beats greater
attenuation. The biggest differences are in laptop and AP sensitivity though,
 and there's not a great way to get those numbers reliably.

If she has no practical signal now then I'm concerned that while an
 antenna or stronger AP might work, it doesn't sound like she would be
wanting to rebuild it a bunch of times until it worked reliably, or able to
 go buy hardware when all else failed.  If I'm misreading that then by
 all means go for the antennas, that's more fun anyhow and probably
 cheaper. :)

Good luck,
-Tim