I tried a couple of things last night - based upon advice on the HP website.
Unfortunately, I am having no luck.
The keyboard appears to be totally dead. I'm told we may have blown the
keyboard bios chip on the motherboard and
if so, it is toast. I have one more option to try. I am going to plug in a usb
keyboard and see if I get any
further. Sadly, it looks like my only option may be to offer parts of the poor
thing on ebay. It was a really dandy
laptop but I think it got zapped by static electricity. My son said he reached
out to turn down the speaker volume
and literally got a spark off the end of his finger that hurt. After that it
acted oddly and gave him error
messages about something having changed - he remembers ATI being referred to
and thought it must be related to the
video but, it did let him shut it down normally. Now it won't restart properly.
It beeps but I am not hearing a
pattern to the beeps. It sounds to me like it just beeps continually for a
minute or so. Then it goes to a windows
option screen that would permit me to start in safe mode if the keyboard
worked. Once, last night it started in the
setup screen but again I could not get it to do anything further as the
keyboard would not let me move the
highlighted item to access anything.

Randy