Porsche 928 ran it's water pump off the back of the timing belt too.  The
pump would last a  long time usually, but often, it was looked at as part of
a timing belt job.  While it's all a part and we're in there, might as well
do it too.

I've done the water pump on an old 2.0 Sunbird.  It was a bit of a pain too.

Ed
300E