Not so, computers have surged waaaayyyy ahead in the last 12-18 months
especially in my business (video production) largely because of the availablity
of 64 bit operating systems.

I think what we're seeing on the home market now is that people don't really DO
all that much and for web browsing and email you don't really NEED all that
much horsepower. I've got a 2.4Ghz Intel mobo and processor at home with 2GB of
RAM and its entirely adequate for all my needs on the email/web browsing/web
page creation/graphics editing front as a home user. Systems today are
(interestingly) the same number (around 2.4Ghz) but you start talking dual core
processors and faster bus speeds so effectively 2-2.5x the speed of the machine
I have. Mine is maxed out for RAM and its slow RAM and I can't run a 64 bit OS
so theres more speed available on the newer machine there too. Oh I also can't
use an SATA hard drive which is faster so again more speed. With the proper OS
and a bucketload of RAM and good video card and whatnot I'd say a machine
comparable to mine in today's tech is maybe 4-5x faster overall. Thats speed I
don't need of course, my system is
 totally adequate.

My video editing system is a dual 2.2Ghz with 2GB of RAM and BADLY needs
replacing as its too slow to do any practical HD video work. I've got a pretty
big, mostly HD project coming up so I need an upgrade. Dual 3.0Ghz systems with
faster bus speeds are only a couple hundred bucks so I think I'm going to go
that route.

Life on the trailing edge...

-Curt