Thanks for explaining that. Now I can see why it's not enough to move the car
back on the trailer till the trailer doesn't put much weight on the
tongue...that shifts too much mass to the rear causing swerving and
unsteadiness.

Best is to move 50% of the mass forward, if not more, and use the weight
distribution hitch to distribute the weight of the car back to the trailer.

Do I have that right?

Chris