It seems than at Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:02:47 -0800 (PST),
Christopher wrote:

> Thanks for explaining that. Now I can see why it's not enough
> to move the car back on the trailer till the trailer doesn't
> put much weight on the tongue...that shifts too much mass to
> the rear causing swerving and unsteadiness.
>
> Best is to move 50% of the mass forward, if not more, and use
> the weight distribution hitch to distribute the weight of the
> car back to the trailer.
>
> Do I have that right?

Yeah, but you won't likely get %50 of the mass in front with a
big load. Big weight distributing hitches can "distribute" up to
1500 lbs (680 kg) away from the hitch. I did achieve close to
that when I hauled a big riding mower. Put it entirely in front
of the axle and cranked up the distrib. Rode _very_ nice!

--       Philip