Yeah that is the intended use. My Grandfather drove a standard 5 ton box truck in Germany. He usually pulled a two axle trailer with the steerable front axle. In some of the places he went, the only way to easily get the trailer in was to hook it to the hitch on the front of the truck. Backing up one of those trailers is a whole nuther level of hard. I don't have any problems with regular trailers but I still haven't gotten very good with the three axle front steering trailer that I made. Gonna take a lot more practice there.

Manfred

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:34:37 -0600
From: "R A Bennell" <b...@mts.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] TRAILER & block heater for Chris

I think people use the front receiver mount because they find it easier
 to maneuver  a trailer driving forward
rather than trying to back up. I have never tried it myself and it does
 not sound like it would be that much
better. I suppose it might give a tighter turning circle given the
 front wheels of the vehicle would turn quicker
than the back end. Sort of the reverse of a boat which essentially
 steers from the back rather than the front as
with a car.

Randy