On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Redghost <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
>  Right now I have an
> old sawtooth G4.  Really could be happier with a nice Mac with a faster bus
> speed.

A Sawtooth I bought new in 1999 is my computer of choice for any kind
of creative work (web design, Photoshop, light video and audio
editing).  It's been upgraded within an inch of its life, though.
Originally was a 450 MHz G4, 128 Mb of RAM, Rage 64 graphics (if even
that---some kind of low end ATI card at any rate), running OS 9.1.
Now has a 1.2 GHz G4 processor daughtercard, Radeon 9800 graphics, max
RAM of 2 Gb, and OS X Tiger of course.  I'm about to cross the final
frontier by putting in a new 1 Tb hard drive and a PCI SATA card to
drive it.  If it seems too slow after that, I guess it's time for a
new machine---the only limiting factor left is the bus and you can't
upgrade that!  (Not as expensive an experiment as it sounds, since I'm
sure I can resell the SATA card on eBay and the hard drive can go into
an AMD Linux box I'm building).

Alex