Donald Snook wrote:
Dieselers, After all this discussion of windshields, I noticed as I was driving
west into the setting sun, that I have lots of pits and the glare does
it make it very difficult to see.  I also noticed that my windshield has
the Mercedes star and it also said PPG.  I have a 1990 300D 2.5. I don't
know whether it is original, I assume it is, since it has the star.

PPG makes replacement windshield WITH a star on them for Mercedes and they make them without the star for the glass replacement industry. They do NOT have different production lines for them. The difference IS the star - not the quality of the windshield. As far as I know, PPG did not supply the German factory with windshields for installation into cars as original equipment (but that might not be true). Any glass can pit. The OE glass in German cars pits faster than what's available in the replacement market in the US, but replacement glass WILL pit - it just takes more effort. One good sand storm is all it takes!

My insurance will not replace the windshield for cosmetic reasons, but only after it won't pass state inspection. That's a subjective call by the inspector.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi