> Loren wrote:

> yes, did that.  Then tried everything i could think of to get
> it to save the file.

If you want it to be a .wav file, you will need to choose
"export as wav". "Save" will save in the unique Audacity format.

Can you get to "Edit > Preferences"? Under the tab "Directories"
it should report the free space in the chosen directory.

Is "Export as Wav" grayed out?

> It has been sitting on my desktop for a
> few days while I tried to figure out how to save the file.  It
> is about an hour and 20 minutes long.

Oooh. That's a pretty long file. I'm not sure why you aren't seeing an
option to save, but for future reference - especially for long
recordings...

Audacity is a common choice, but I would advise against using it
for the _recording_. Internally, it handles the audio by chopping
it into small (less than 5 second) pieces and the stitches them
together when you playback. This works great most of the time.
But should the program or the computer crash during a recording,
the "audio file" is likely a folder full of randomly named,
short sound clip that Audacity may _or_my_not_ be able to put
back together. Thus I would recommend either of the following two
programs for the actual recording. For editing, Audacity can be
great.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net

My two favorite MS Windows recorders are:

EZTracker
http://www.aletheia.tv/EZTracker.html
http://aletheia.tv/EZSetup.exe

is very simple, and as such has very few options. It
is freeware, but I don't remember the details of the license.
The current version records only .wav files.

HDOgg
http://www.fridgesoft.de/harddiskogg.php

is licensed under GPL, it has a reasonable ( I think!
*smile*) set of options including an automatic level control.
This one can record a .wav file, or Ogg Vorbis file
http://www.vorbis.com/faq/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg

or .mp3 with the help of LAME.
http://lame.sourceforge.net/about.php

Once you have a .wav file on the disk, you can use Audacity to
trim, alter, tweak, warp, etc.

--           Philip