Michael LaFleur wrote:
California, as a state of the union, has the right to adopt any emission
standard it wants. We live in a confederation of states, a democratically
elected republic.

Generally I'm with you on the 9tn and 10th Amendment stuff (two sections of the Bill of Rights that the fedgov doesn't even pay lip service to anymore), but you also have to remember that the original intention of the commerce clause is to prevent the states from erecting barriers to interstate trade, and may allow federal setting of automobile safety and emission standards.

In practice, since there isn't a cadre of California automakers using CARB standards to stifle out of state competition, I tend to agree with you, I just wish the total cost of making different cars would be borne in the price of those cars and not subsidized by the purchasers of the 49 state cars.

One area where the illiterate rantings of CARB have screwed up the rest of the country is fuel standards. Does anybody remember MTBE?

Mitch.