Well, your oil does not get filtered when the orings are hard. Oil leaks down out of the filter when the engine is off, and the whole can has to fill before you get oil into the valve train and other moving parts. You get funky oil level readings.

NO quickie oil change places will ever change them. Few Stealerships will change them and MB-only independents most likely won't change them unless asked. Other independents are unlikely to know about them, therefore won't change them.

Every diesel I have bought has hardened or non-existent orings on the cover stem.

In short, it cuts the life of your engine short. I keep extras on-hand all the time.

Another reason why you should always change your own oil, especially with a Diesel car or pickup.

you can pull the cap and change them without changing the oil, but you might want a new oring for the cap also if you go that route.

No, your engine won't die tomorrow from having bad orings there, but it will die sooner.

At 09:04 PM 2/5/2009, you wrote:
Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com> writes:

> You need to change those oil filter stem orings like YESTERDAY!.  Get
> 2-3 of each from Rusty and keep them.  change them about every other
> time you change the filter, or at least every other year.

Since you seem alarmed, what exactly happens when those O-rings don't
seal properly?  I have good (excellent in fact) oil pressure readings on
the dash.

Allan
--
1983 300D