Thanks for all that info!
Dimitri

--- On Sun, 2/8/09, Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com> wrote:

From: Loren Faeth <lfa...@leadingchange.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Keep getting gelled
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 8:56 PM

Yes, There is a strainer in the tank  , where the outlet nose comes
out.  takes a 17mm crow-foot and a 2 5/16" socket on a 123.  When you
take off the fuel filler cap, do you hear a whoosh?  if so, your vent
line is plugged.  You may just be starving it for fuel.  The vent
line is a lot easier than crawling under, getting a face and arms
full of diesel fuel to get the tank drained and pull the screen.

If you try to drain the tank, get new hose stubs first from
Rusty.  Unless yours have been replaced in the last 5 yrs, they need
to be replaced.  Often that solves the fuel starvation problems, as
the hoses don't leak fuel, but will draw in air, causing fuel
starvation.  they are threaded on on the tank end and plain hose for
a clamp on the other.  Get new clamps also.  I've had to use a dremel
to cut them off.

If you are really cheap like me, you cut the ferrules off the
threaded end of the hose, and just buy new hose and 4 hose
clamps.  that is a little tougher on the 123 on the suction side, as
you have to fit the clamp so the seal cover fits back on  right.  But
it CAN be done.

I've never had gelling until it is below zero., usually under 10 below.

At 07:08 PM 2/8/2009, you wrote:
>I don't have gelling problems in 20 degree weather.  It is low teens
>and below where the problem surfaces.  I replaced both fuel filters
>and it still happens.  Screen?  Do you mean in the tank?
>Dimitri

Air
>leaking into the lines can wreak havoc too.
>
>At 04:43 PM 2/8/2009, you wrote:
> > Would small amount of biodiesel such as B2 or B5 cause the fuel to
gel at
>higher temps?  This 240D I have seems to like to gel up.  The 73 220D which
>I'm in the process of restoring rarely had gelling issues.  It's
>basically the same engine so I don't know why that is.  I actually used
>use B100 in that car and in cold - around 20-25 degrees F the biodiesel
would
>turn to a slurry and miraculously the car would actually run!
> > Dimitri
> >

>Loren Faeth

Loren Faeth