Ciavo or something like that - she was chairwoman of one of the aviation
boards, I think - can't remember 'zackly.

Wilton

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] thoughts on NY plane crash?

> NBC I think, has this woman who was an asst inspector general or some
> such in DOT during the Clinton years, on as an aviation expert every
> time there is some air problem.  She holds forth quite knowledgeably,
> about as well as some hack political lawyer can do.  But those idiots
> nod and act very somber when she opines, and treat every word as
> gospel.  Mary something is her name.  I have not really watched that
> network much in the last few years, she is probably still on though.
>
> --R
>
> Walter Lasher wrote:
> > **You have to have a minimum of 1500 hours to get your ATP.  As I
understand it the F/O was a flight Instructor for years to build time (a
usual way to build time)

> > ** You fly the plane first. Can't see any reason to call "Mayday" and
take time to talk to ATC under the circumstances, (low altitude and unusual
attitude) they can't help and the main job is to fly the A/C.

> >      Any of us who are, or were, in the Flying Game always get the
question, "What happened?"  Hey, we don't know, we are getting the same info
you get from the TV news, which is getting better, but still behind in
aviation expertise. Wait until the black boxes are examined and the NTSB
comes forth with the answer (or possible answer).
> >        But I will say, it is really interesting to listen to
Non-Aviation types discuss A/C incidents/accidents.  Never ceases to amaze
me to listen to “Non-Aviation Armchair Experts” come up with some really
“interesting” scenarios.   I have seen some local, so called, Media
 “experts” who have never been to an Airport and wouldn’t know a J-3 from a
DC-3 yet they are writing about it.
> >        I remember reading years ago, a report from a regional airport
spokesman in which he stated to the Media about an A/C that slid off the icy
runway. “ The pilot tried to get back on the R/W but the wheels were
spinning in the snow”.  Makes one wonder why they don’t use chains in the
Winter, eh?   J

> > Walt Lasher  (Retired  18,000 hrs. ATP ASEMEL&S, Rotorcraft-Helicopter,
DC-3)