To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 1980 300D Climate Control.

Ralph W wrote:
My Indy just inherited a '79 W116 with a broken unit. What's the
story on replacement?

Can only find used or rebuilt units.  Both still have the same inherent
problems, and will eventually fail.

Does Rusty still sell them rebuilt and for how much.

I think so, and it is *expensive*!! Think four digits.

What's the chance of finding a good used one on Ebay or elsewhere?

Possible but not likely. And if you do find a good one, it will be really close to the price of the aftermarket electronic replacement

This is really the only solution unless you want to roll your own... it is pricey, but maintains full functionality of the original system. Maybe not something you want to spend on a free car, but there it is...

http://unwiredtools.com/accii.asp

HTH!
John