Reply to: sale-nqtac-1071551...@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-03-12, 9:45AM

This is a "One of a Kind" for sure. The body is a Mercedes 1980 300d. It came from the factory with a 3.0 five cylinder non turbo diesel and a 4 speed auto transmission. It got about 27 miles per gallon, but was a little slow. So after the motor threw a bearing I just went ahead and put a rebuilt 3.0 five cylinder TURBO diesel from a 1982 300SD. But that motor just kept killing the auto trannys I put in. Well, I started to look for a Mercedes 240d Manual Transmission. Kinda hard to find. Then I had to make the linkage, get the drive shaft made, find a shifter, get a clutch plate and flywheel, etc. I've got over $500 in the tranny and fitting it to the engine. The motor is 120 hp stock. I put a intercooler and free flow air filter on and turned the injector pump up. It runs very well, starts well also, I just put a new set of glow plugs in.
Now the "other" stuff.
It leaks oil around the valve cover gasket. Bad. I think the oil trap on top of the valve cover is plugged/resricted, or the hose from the oil trap is to small. It'll have to be fixed to dive a long ways. It leaks about one quart every 50 miles. You can see it "crawling" out around the valve gasket.
The body has some rust in the back wheel wells.
Only one window works now, the driver's side window and the sunroof work. I know its the wiring and/or and bad connection.
It'll need new tires.
It's almost 30 years old.
Call (417) 884-5178 and ask for Joe or use the email shown.

    * Location: Sheldon

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (281,xxx mi)