And you'd say that getting into these derivatives was not bad management? My
understanding is that a bonus is paid on performance -- how much money you
end up making the company, not how much you sell. If the end result of your
actions is that you bring down the company and perhaps the world economy to
boot, should that be rewarded?

For better or for worse, some folks are walking away with millions in
"retention pay" (and more than a few took the "retention pay" and then
left). The end result will be that -- hopefully -- IF there is more of my
tax money (and yours) pumped into these too-big-to-fail companies, then
there are strings attached. Personally, I hope we tax the hell out of those
bonuses. If you get a bonus with corporate money, then that is fine. If you
are getting a bonus with MY money, then I, as a taxpayer and by extension
one of the largest owners of the company, then I want it back.

More than outrage that these losers are walking away with millions is the
outrage that these losers are walking away with millions from the public
coffers, money intended to prop up the company (and not the individual bank
accounts of its employees).

Next time, any government money comes with a whole lot of strings and up
front agreements.