Hadn't heard of cam problems on a '96, maybe I'm not up to speed on that?
Seems like broken cams come from defective timing chains, and I think those were gone by 1994. There are some plastic fittings in the fuel system that like to fail and make the OM606 run like crap, I think the variable intake gizmos tend to jam, and being a first year W210 it's always spring perch season. Then there's the difficulty in replacing the glow plugs on the 24v engine. I don't remember if the biodegradable wiring was in cars designed for 1996 introduction or not.
That's all I can recall reading about, I have no experience with that car.

Mitch.