I had an M110 W123 once. About an hour after I bought it, I got out my stethoscope to try and find the source of a tapping/clicking sound in the motor while idling. It was elusive, so I revved the engine a bit at idle, and the motor went "bang" and instantly stopped rotating. When I moved the car, there was a pile of aluminum shards on the ground under the engine bay. My best guess is that the oil pump failed, and the engine threw a rod.

Just thought I'd share my (first and last) M110 experience.... It seems like they would make for a very powerful and smooth car if the engine is in good shape.

Tyler

Peter Merle wrote:
After having lived on MB diesels ranging from the 180D ponton to the W124
300D I will probably take the plunge and buy a W126 280SE. ( The car is low
mileage 50000miles ) . Firstly how does one adapt to not having to wait to
glow before starting ! I might have to see a therapist !  Seriously what
issues are there with the M110 ( euro ) version and the W126 drivetrain.
Thanks
Peter