John Freer wrote:
I saved this "rule of thumb" from one of Marshall's posts years ago.
As I recall, he stated that AT in a serpentine belt system would
create problems when encountering cold temperatures but nothing
drastic would happen.

This is not universally true. The early serpentine systems took ATF. The 1985 TDM says that 201 and 124 models with the 765.9 power steering box take "Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) or manual transmission oil." I don't have an '86 TDM, but Don's owner's manual supports this for the '86 MY. I think they all took the fancy PS oil by '87, but don't know for sure.

Also, even some new models use ATF in the power steering pump. Circa 2007, M-, G-, GL-, and R-Class all take "MB Power Steering Fluid MB Part No. BQ 1 46 0001 or an approved Dexron III ATF." Mobil 1 is not on the approved list.

Tom