Still trying to resolve the problem of my leaking spin-on fuel filter.  To
summarize:

Car is a 1983 300D.  Fuel is leaking out around the top of the "hollow bolt" in
the center of the filter flange.

The hollow bolt has two o-rings on it.  There is no crush washer at the top of
the bolt but it looks like maybe there should be.

I could not find a crush washer in the right size locally, so I tried a fiber
washer.  The leaking was worse, but the fiber washer was fairly thick compared
to the typical crush washer.

Harbor Freight has a set of nitrile rubber metric O-rings that I'm thinking
about buying.  Someone on the list suggested that the fuel filter should come
with new O-rings, crush washer, or both.  Rusty says none of them do that he
knows of.

I currently am unable to drive the car because the fuel leak is that bad.

Questions, can anyone answer with certainty:

  a) there *should* be a crush washer at the top of the hollow bolt?

  b) would the harbor freight nitrile o-rings hold up OK to diesel fuel (I
don't run bio-d)?

Thanks,

Allan
--