correction, I believe the crush washer part number is going to be 007603 018101

Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
as previously mentioned, yes, there is supposed to be a crush washer, part number is 0009970048, also part number 0039975848 might be the rubber o ring.

Allan Streib wrote:
Still trying to resolve the problem of my leaking spin-on fuel filter. To summarize: Car is a 1983 300D. Fuel is leaking out around the top of the "hollow bolt" in the center of the filter flange.

The hollow bolt has two o-rings on it. There is no crush washer at the top of the bolt but it looks like maybe there should be.

I could not find a crush washer in the right size locally, so I tried a fiber washer. The leaking was worse, but the fiber washer was fairly thick compared to the typical crush washer.

Harbor Freight has a set of nitrile rubber metric O-rings that I'm thinking about buying. Someone on the list suggested that the fuel filter should come with new O-rings, crush washer, or both. Rusty says none of them do that he knows of.

I currently am unable to drive the car because the fuel leak is that bad. Questions, can anyone answer with certainty:

  a) there *should* be a crush washer at the top of the hollow bolt?

b) would the harbor freight nitrile o-rings hold up OK to diesel fuel (I don't run bio-d)?

Thanks,

Allan
--
1983 300D

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 95 E300, 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 89 300E, 87 300SDL x2, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D, 84 190D x2,
 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D,