I tried another alternator for the 77 240D and it
doesn't generate current either.  There is no magnetic
effect around the alternater when the car is running
making me suspicious that there may not be power to
the field coils.  The two big wires have 12V but the
small blue wire is dead. I would hate to buy a new
alternator only to find that the problem is a bad
lead.   Does anyone know which alternator wire is for
the field coil lead?

TIA

Bruce

Bruce
82 300CD 333kmi 'His'
85 300CD 234kmi 'Hers'
75 240D 185kmi 'Theirs' (Back in Commission)
77 240D 199kmi 'The Brown Car'

http://mail.yahoo.com