On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 02:44:12PM -0700, Gabriel S. wrote:
> my 87 300d does the same thing on hills...i found it strange at first but
> i've gotten used to it.

The hill thing has to do with there being a high stall speed in the torque
converter, used to offset a 2.65:1 rear end (or thereabouts) in a car where
the power band starts somewhere north of 2500.

The parked thing is that the parking pawl is probably damaged. I usually
set the parking brake as well, but understand that this isn't ideal when
in a climate that has freezing temperatures. For what it's worth, the parking
pawls on my two automatics are fine. This isn't a cheap fix.

It could also be linkage (like on the buick sportwagon I have), but would not
know how to check that.