You should try Virtual Box www.virtualbox.org It will allow you to control what resources the guest OS uses and will allow file sharing between the guest (more than one at once) and the host OS.

Luther

LarryT wrote:
Thank you Don!! I am installing XP on a virtual drive at this moment! It amazes me the so-called "Help" professionals have no idea about this solution! I was "passed up" 3 levels at Microsoft yet none suggested a virtual drive! Unbelievable.

Not only were the MS Helpers clueless but the various forums I visited made no mention of this option! Virtual drives have been around fr a long time - I have software that installs them to make it un-necessary to have game CD in the drive to run.

I will have Vista Ultimate and XP Home running on a SATA drive - since I like some of the Vista features and dislike many features, this is the ideal solution.

Now, all I need do is understand how to use the virtual drive and see if there's a way to minimize the Vista and maximize XP. Right now, it looks like it treats the 2 OS's as totally seperate. I hope I can cross the borders between the 2 so I can move files around from one to the other.

But I finally have my XP Disc with the SATA HD drivers embedded into the CD. It'd be nice to use my 500GB HD. We'll see - I have lots of instructions to read. I wish this stuff didn't put me to sleep ;-)

Now I have 2 solutions! well, only the Virtual driven is a proven winner. We'll see if the other works.

Thx agn -

LarryT
--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark