A very long time ago, one if the pieces of avionics equipment I had to
maintain and repair (and I can't remember exactly what it was or what it
did) at CGAS Cape Cod had brushes and commutator ring. I still have one of
the white, square, somewhat-like-sandstone tools that I used to clean and
polish the commutator. I've had no use for it for decades but kept it in my
toolbox. Just checked -- it is still there, with the business end ground
down to a nice curve. Still about 3" long, so lots of life left on it.

--
The only absolute is that everything is relative.  --Henri de Saint Simon