If he wants to run his volvo with an XJ, he's welcome to come out to death
valley or the sierra nevadas and come on a few of the trails. I could list
off the ones a dead stock XJ with either 2.73:1 or 3.07:1 diffs (can't
remember) and a five speed made without issue that his volvo wagon that
apparently has more wheel travel than a deuce and a half has shouldn't have
any problems with.

Sure, it's not the 300TD (or even the 190D) on the road, but neither of
those could really hang with the jeep offroad. Well, except for Mogthra,
but that's another story, and isn't mine.