From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Barry Stark
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 14:31
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Ethanol

Scott -
It has been a few years since I have worked on many of those "pumper" carbs
but as far as adjustments to the needle and seat, the parts that you would
call the "float valve" in a float type carb, when you have it assembled to
the point that you can view the needle seat relationship, the lever that
bears on the needle should typically be parallel to the body of the carb.
The last time I fixed a chain saw that had been sitting till the gas turned,
the problem was simply that needle was stuck closed by varnish. A good
cleaning and it worked fine. Sometimes the diaphragms just get dried out and
crack. Gotta make sure there are no perforations or tears. You also need to
make sure that the hoses are good or they may be sucking air. The reason
that these carbs are often referred to as "pumper" carbs on the 2 strokes is
that they have an extra diaphragm that uses a pulse from crankcase pressure
to act as a fuel pump. Can't have any leaking gaskets. You need to make sure
that you have cleaned the passages to the high speed and idle fuel circuits
as well. Screw those adjustment screws in all the way making note of how
many turns. Don't force the adjustment screws, just lightly bottom them.
After you have verified clean passages and reassembled, open the two screws
about the same place and add about a half a turn more open and final adjust
after the engine is running. BTW, you don't really want to run 2 stroke
engines out of pre-mix fuel in an attempt to empty the carb because the oil
is in the fuel so you are running the engine out of lube as well. You'll
probably never get all the fuel out of a diaphragm carb anyway, the engine
will starve and quit before that happens.

Barry

On engines
with a fuel shut-off (like my generator and lawn vac) I try to run the carb
dry between uses and that helps too.

On the other hand, I've never fixed a diaphragm-type carb (like on chain saw
or blower) permanently despite several attempts; these may require special
tools to set the diaphragm or maybe I needed to actually replace parts.
Does anyone know the trick for these diaphragm carbs?

Scott